Friday, December 19, 2014

Final, final change order and new loan... Maybe

We met with Jenny, our SR, to make one final change order (probably final but who knows!). After much deliberation in my own mind, I decided to nix the granite in the kitchen. Although I love the look of granite, I felt uneasy about selecting the color from a small swatch. I couldn't really picture what the kitchen would look like. I decided we would instead get Formica and replace it within the year. My persuasive self talked the bf into it pretty easily.  Apparently,  it will also be much cheaper to get an outside company to put in in. We don't have that much counter space so I'm thinking this is the best decision... cheaper and I can pick out the entire slab.

So instead, we added a tray ceiling in the master (special request), under cabinet lighting, and 2 more ceiling fan rough-ins. I thought it was more important to get structural things now... Right? Anyway, we chose "Jamocha Granite" Formica. I want to ask our PM if we can get a beveled edge but I think it just comes square. Hopefully there won't be a seam line because that's sooooo 80s.

Good news is our pre-construction meeting is scheduled for December 29th! I'm extremely excited to finally be starting the building process. Building should begin the second or third week in January and delivery in April. Hopefully this winter won't hold up the process too much.

We still have not been approved by NVR. It's been over a month. I contacted our loan officer yesterday and she informed me that she thinks we should now use a conventional loan instead of USDA. My first question- "Don't you need 20% down?" Actually no! It's 5% down and the funding fee goes from 4.5% (USDA) to 3% (Conventional). Cool. Also, PMI will drop off after 2 years. I didn't know with a USDA loan that PMI NEVER goes away so this seems like a good option. We are going to meet with her after the holiday so hopefully she will have some good news.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays blog readers!!!... If anyone is reading my blog.

2 comments:

  1. What Formica selection did you make? We went with the Travertine Silver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we chose "Jamocha granite." I had asked our SR and PM if we could get a beveled edge to make it look better but that was not an option. We couldn't upgrade the formica at all. I have seen many really awesome looking formicas on Houzz and tried to add those but no. We plan on replacing the counters shortly after we move in anyway.

    ReplyDelete